The 2020 Tokyo Olympics will not only require buildings for the events themselves but they will require an Olympic Village as well as a media centre. They are usually not located together but they are located close to each other. For the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Harumi and Odaiba will be the locations for both of these venues.
The Harumi district will be the location of the Olympic Village. The Olympic Village will be on an island that is currently nestled between Kachidoki, and Ariake and the future Tokyo Fish Market. The island itself is not too special and would have been slated for development sooner or later. It is in a very central location and you can easily walk to several of the Olympic events from Harumi. Currently it is mostly an open lot but that will change quickly once the village starts getting built.
Tokyo Big Site
Tokyo Big Site will be the location of the Media Centre. With their excellent facilities, they will be able to connect the world to Tokyo. There will be thousands of journalists visiting Tokyo during the 2020 Olympics and they will all need a base of operations. You can expect to see a buzz happening around Tokyo Big Site, but the transportation links will probably be a little strained as journalists fight their way to get into work every morning.
The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Other Venues is part of a series detailing the venue locations and what will happen in the future. To read more, follow the links below:
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Meiji Jingu Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Central Tokyo Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Ariake Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Odaiba Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Sea Forest Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Yumenoshima (Dream Island) Venues
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venues – Venues Outside the Heritage Area
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Venue Plan (Official Site – English)